Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Tribute For Zoro

A Tribute For Zoro


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Zoro passed away yesterday at around 7.18pm. He was a stray kitten (of just a couple weeks old) from under our block. We took him in on the 11th of November 2006. As the previous kittens in our area usually did not make it past a few weeks, we couldn't bear the thought of leaving him to the ravages of nature and not to mention sadistic humans (who are, surprisingly, children with cheering parents by their sides).

The first week was so enjoyable, as he was not only so well-behaved and ate really well. He was so manja too. He would always play around in the small shoe box that we prepared as his bed. He would look at us so lovingly, as if asking to be pat. How can one ignore such pure innocence??
After not eating for 2 days, we took him to the vet on Monday. Force feeding him liquid at home was not enough as kittens need all the nutrients that they can get. The vet, Dr. Phua, told us that based on the symptoms, Zoro might be infected with a virus that affects the brain (common among strays). She suggested we hospitalised him so that they could force feed him and give him antibiotics and injections. We decided to do so as we are nursing another stray, Comel, at home. The virus could be passed around among felines.
For a small and frail body, he had experienced a lot of pain. Before he was hospitalised, the vet had to inject some antibiotics into him. The needle was equivalent to the ones that are used to draw the blood out for blood donation. I was holding his upper body for the vet to inject it on the lower part of his body. I can't imagine the pain that he has to go thru. My mum cried on the spot cos he was meowing in pain.
After calling the vet regularly for 2 days, we were taken by surprise when the vet called on Wednesday night and told us that Zoro didn't make it. He was supposed to be responding well to the treatment as he was able to eat by himself, and not thru drips. I was so reluctant to tell my mum. It was silent in the living room when I finally told her. She decided to take his body back so that she could give it proper burial rather than let the vet dispose it as waste.
My mum collected his body this morning. I refused to be there because I couldn't bear the sight of seeing him not alive. Lots of tears were shed. I know I will crumble again if I see my mum cry or if I see his remains. Even writing this down couldn't stop me from crying again.
Thank you Zoro for being a part of our lives, even though for just a short while. You have won our hearts and we are truly sorry for not being able to do more. I am very sure that you are in a better place. May Allah bless your soul. Amin.

No comments: