Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Poem

Poem

Chapter 1
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost. I am helpless.
It is not my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I do not see it.
I fall in again.
I cannot believe I am in the same place.
But, it is not my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3
I walk down the same street again.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in. It is a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

Chapter 4
I walk down the same street again.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter 5
I walk down another street.

~~ Portia Nelson ~~

The poem above was taken off a book that I read lately. Seems to have so much time *surprisingly* to catch up on DVDs (Bridget Jones - both episodes!! So sickenly funny and romantic, Bride & Prejudice - so many beautiful people! & Wedding Crashes - toTally hilarious :P) and books. The poem above caught the essence of how I feel, though for some it rings a familiar bell right? Anyways just wanna share how simple we usually trap ourselves. :P
It is funny how, even when we are consciously aware of these self-harmful choices, it still holds a certain power over us. They draw us in even after we have declared that we won’t fall into the same hole again. *sigh* It robs us of our self-esteem and confidence and saps the vital energy we need to actually create our best lives. Predictably, our most self-sabotaging behaviours or choices are usually wrapped in deep denial. We deny the consequences into believing we will get what we want even as we continue down the same fruitless path. Alas, that's a road in life that we accidentally or willingly take, isn't it? ... Anyways happy holidays to those having Holidays .. *heehe*

No comments: